Close this search box.

From Toowoomba to Parramatta

Sometimes a donation to the School’s Archive Collection arrives from an unexpected source, such as the Prayer Book belonging to former Chaplain, Rev Edward Lampard gifted to the School from the Principal of St Ursula’s Toowoomba.

How the Prayer Book came to be found in an antique shop in that region remains a mystery. Born in Reading, Berkshire in 1866, Edward studied at Corpus Christi College Cambridge graduating BA in 1888. Priested in Manchester, England three years later, he arrived in Sydney in 1893 where he became Curate at St John’s Darlinghurst. He moved between parishes, including a six year appointment as Curate in Charge of Blackheath and Medlow Bath (1901-07), where the local newspaper published a photograph of the Blackheath Progress Association, of which Edward was a member, outside the new Parish Hall. A five year stint at Wollongong followed where he was also Honorary Chaplain to the Services.

Edward’s association with The King’s School began in 1913 as he and his wife were welcomed to the Parish of All Saint’s Parramatta at the almost washed out garden fete. This was the same month their son Edward (Geoffrey) enrolled at King’s, boarding quite close to home in Broughton House. Geoff was a School Monitor and a member of the 2nd XV, winning the French prize in his final year. He completed both his Intermediate and Leaving Certificate and on leaving school enlisted in the Australian Flying Corps in January 1917. Edward and his wife were welcomed as Chaplain and Housemaster of Broughton House in the September 1915 issue of the School Magazine. It is possible that the School Crested and embossed Book of Common Prayer was given to the new Chaplain as a welcome gift. In the December 1917 issue of the Magazine in Broughton House notes, the House Captain, Walter Smale Friend, farewelled Rev Lampard and wished him all the best as he and his family moved to the Diocese of Grafton, where he became rector of Alstonville. Appointed Archdeacon of Richmond Tweed in 1919, Edward remained in the Grafton Diocese until 1937 after which time he retired from full time ministry, returning to Sydney where he undertook locums or temporary appointments before passing away in September 1956. How the Prayer Book came to be found in an antique shop in the Toowoomba region remains a mystery, however, the gift has prompted an investigation of a once little known Chaplain and Housemaster in this our 190th year.

Scroll to Top