Facilities in Senior School
Senior School boys need access to a rich vein of learning resources, and the extensive facilities at King’s provide everything they need to fulfil their development potential.
Aesthetically, the Senior School comprises a number of graceful colonnaded buildings, with terracotta columns, sandstone walls and open verandahs complementing the relaxed and engaging space.
Within, our renowned Centre for Learning and Leadership is the core of the School and incorporates a library and conference space, while our Science Centre offers a commercial-level research hub housing up to 16 full-time scientists from universities and the wider commercial world.
Airy, engaging classrooms, welcoming boarding houses, high quality sporting facilities and plenty of wide-open spaces: Senior School at The King’s School is designed to inspire.
Learning and leadership are central to life at King’s. We want boys to explore their potential to the fullest and develop valuable skills in critical and creative thinking.
We provide a range of learning spaces and resources that together offer every opportunity to explore, inquire and develop. Centres for learning, science, performing arts, music and design support a range of informal and formal learning zones that encourage boys and teachers to collaborate.
The King’s School is renowned for its excellent teaching and learning facilities, with purpose-built centres providing the perfect environment for boys to thrive academically.
King’s invests continually in the planning and design of contemporary learning spaces which offer the support and surroundings necessary as part of a boy’s efforts in his academic development. These include:
- The Centre for Learning and Leadership: a dynamic learning environment focused on encouraging and enriching our boys’ lifelong learning skills through the development of critical and creative thinking. The CLL incorporates a designated Year 12 Study Centre and supporting Senior Library, auditorium and fully-equipped kitchen.
- Inquiry Learning Centre: a purpose-built library and learning hub inspiring boys and assisting them in developing understanding and building knowledge.
- The King’s Theatre and Drama Centre (incorporating the Drama Studio).
Fully-equipped Music Centre.
- Robert Robertson Museum.
- Three double-storey classroom blocks (North Walk, South Walk and West Walk).
- A world-class Science Centre comprising 18 Science laboratories and commercial-level research facilities.
- The SG Wansey Design and Technology Centre for Technological and Applied Studies.
- Agriculture block.
Sport and physical activities are central to a boy’s development and wellbeing.
In support of this, King’s offers an unrivalled range of facilities that cater to every sporting requirement. From cricket nets and ovals to rugby and football pitches, tennis and basketball courts, swimming pools, playing fields and gyms – anything relating to physical activity can be served at King’s. There is even a rowing shed and opportunity to be part of the rowing team.
King’s is graced with many spaces in which boys may partake in any number of sports and physical activities. All students from Pre-K to Year 12 can take full advantage of a wide range of purpose built facilities including:
- A fully-equipped Sports Centre (including indoor basketball courts and weights room)
The WS Friend Gymnasium
- 50 metre competition standard swimming pool
- 25 metre heated outdoor swimming pool
- 17 ovals and playing fields across the King’s School community, including the renowned JS White Oval with Thomas Memorial Pavilion and Gus Taylor Change Rooms
- outdoor basketball courts
- tennis courts
- cricket nets
- rowing shed
- a large community Pavilion.
Music and Performing Arts
Music and creative performance are central to life at King’s and boys will take part in numerous musical programs and performances, sing in the Chapel and be part of drama productions and plays through their time at King’s.
To support such a vibrant range of activities we provide an extensive range of music and performance facilities including a fully-equipped Music Centre complete with classrooms and individual practice rooms, the renowned King’s Theatre, a 350-seat industry standard performance space, and Drama Centre incorporating a black box theatre, Green Room, changing areas and storage facilities.