Brief history of The King's School
Towards a centenary
Bishop Barker, supported by Old Boys and supporters of the School, worked tirelessly over the next few years to re-open the School, which ultimately occurred in 1868 under the headmastership of Rev Macarthur. The Cadet Corps, officially recognised as the oldest in Australia, had its beginnings at Macquarie Fields, where it was renamed The King's School Cadet Corps in 1868. While Macarthur felt the Chapel was the heart of the School, it was left to his successor, Rev A St John Gray to see the beginning of the building, which many years later made its way to Gowan Brae. The years from 1868 until the centenary were significant for many reasons as the following were instituted during the time the Colony was debating Federation:
- The foundations for the symbols of The King's School that we recognise today
- The School badge
- The arms and the motto
The AAGPS was founded in 1892 and for the first four years the School was victorious on the rugby field. Not long after, Australia saw in a new century and the School adopted its black tie, mourning the loss of a long reigning monarch. Rev PS Waddy became the second Old Boy to become Headmaster, and his time at the helm saw the establishment of the Preparatory School, the House System and Day Boys being allowed to wear the School uniform.
The world was at war, and Old Boys of The King's School responded in large numbers to the call to arms. It was a time of “muscular Christianity” where boys were encouraged to play hard and study hard and no one exemplified this more than Rev EM Baker. For some, this was a “golden era” where once again the School reigned supreme on the sporting field, boarding numbers doubled and the Chapel was extended as a memorial to all those who paid the ultimate sacrifice during the war. Centenary celebrations were held, with a radio link up with our namesake in Canterbury, however, at this time ill health forced the resignation of Rev Baker.